Friday, March 6, 2009

like mother, like daughter

Here is a story from the good 'ole days.


Back in 1990-ish, we lived in a different 1900's farmhouse;


This one I was determined to restore.


We lived on an acre


with chickens, a garden, and wood heat.


We shopped one entire anniversary weekend

to find this old cookstove.


After getting it home

my husband converted it to a pellet stove.

(Have I mentioned how good

he is at making my crazy ideas come to life?!)


We used it for heating the back of the house and cooking.


It was great for simmering soups and warming up food in the oven.


I never did master baking in the oven, though:)



This was before re-purposed was even a word.


I just knew what I liked


and had to figure out a way to make it practical!


Sometimes we have to help

beauty and function meet!




Daddy's helper is now the daddy to the triplets!


Life was simple then and always an adventure.


I loved that stove


and all of the memories of that time in my life.


( I really wish I could find more pictures of the stove and house


but I put them somewhere for scrapbooking and now I can't find them!)

8 comments:

June said...

I love your post today as always. Thankyou so much for the encouraging words you left me today. I pray your family are all well and happy. Mine seem to be and that is always such a blessing to a mother. I think you will notice a lot of things in my home home that you have put your lovely mark on. I can't wait to get to the 'Shabby House' to bring home more. June

Just a little something from Judy said...

I like anything "old", so visiting your blog today is a real treat. The old stove is a treasure. I like how you it displayed, and the old pictures to go with it.

The Pink Birdhouse said...

I was thrilled when I saw that you had been by my blog for a visit, and I thank you for such a nice comment left there!

I was fascinated with your pictures of the old stove, and when the name "Fridgidaire" showed up in the previous post, I was taken back to my childhood. My Grandmother always called the refridgerator the Fridgidaire, and to this day that is what my family calls it. I call it the fridge, and so do my kids! Now there is a word they don't usually learn in English class here in the german schools. :-) A very nice post!

Anonymous said...

This is my first time visiting your blog. How delightful!

Years ago, while renovating an old farm house in the wilderness of Northwest Wisconsin, we discovered several copies of Farm Journal in the ceiling, together with other old magazines and newspapers. All were being used as insulation. Needless to say, my husband hauled them out of the house and dumped them in a heap, but I plowed through the piles and rescued those keepsakes. That was 15 years ago and I still have them. What fun to look through. I'll be marking your blog to revisit.

Jean Tuthill said...

First, Thanks for stopping by my blog. I love the old stove and the pictures that go with it. I love how you have displayed the pretty things on it. I would love to have that and the room for such a display.

Midlife, menopause, mistakes and random stuff... said...

What a fantastic blog you have going here!
I love that old stove.....wow, that's an awesome find. I followed you over from Debby at The Pink Birdhouse. Any friend of my dear Debby is a friend of mine :)
If you have a moment or two of your life that youd care to waste, please drop by my blog and be sure to say hello :)
Take good care and......

Steady On
Reggie Girl

Barb said...

Sooo enjoyed reading your post.
"Judy" took the words right out of my mouth. I too love anything "old," and I so enjoyed the accompanying photos.
Where did you find all those amazing old keys?
Wishin' you an enjoyable Sunday afternoon.

sherry said...

Oh how fun to compliment each other in gifts and strengths, including making this oven work!

um. What's your daughter doing with that sweet little kittie?! hahaha.