Tuesday, January 24, 2012

heart of the home...part two


Last week 
I showed you where we started with my kitchen.
Today, 
 I am going to show you
our initial re-do when we first moved in
14 years ago


Remember, this is the original floor plan


The red indicates the changes we made


We My Mr. and the kiddos


gutted the room 
changed doorways and  windows
put the hot water heater in the cellar
removed the chimney
and then on to the fun part.
CABINETS


The built-in became the  standard for  the new cabinets.


We worked with our local cabinet maker to order cabinets.
It cost less than Home Depot
and
 we were able to customize to fit my style.


we ordered:
 raw maple (no paint or finish on them) boxes
shaker style
taller wall units


The we MY Mr. added the top box-y thing 
to match the built-in and brackets

We added an oak island with a wood top.
That island has seen some serious use in the past 14 years.
I do everything there.



I LOVE my island...I' not sure I could cook without one anymore.
The wood top has an food-grade epoxy on it 
that has worn wonderfully...
the only wear is where one of the boys cut through it with a knife 

(don't ask...I don't know what  he was doing)

(Don't we love a man with his tools?)

We My MR. installed oak wood floors...
I LOVE those, too!
( my 3 girls...sweet, huh? Oh, I LOVE a girl and her tools, too!)

(Oh, how I miss those days)

The floor is tough 
and 
doesn't show dirt...enough said.
We're due to add another coat of polyurethane soon...
not bad for 14 years of heavy-duty use.



The walls were painted green
up until about a year ago.
Many of you have asked about the color
Here is the formula:
B-30
C-40
D-6



(this is a good shot of the opening we made to the family room)



Now, just for fun, 
I'm going to show you all some of my rose dishes.
It will show you what my style has been.
Stay with me...
and 
you will  see 
how it  connects to what my style is NOW.








That's all  for now.
I'll be back
because
I still want to show you 
the transition stage,
 phase 2 of the pantry (I'm almost finished!)
and then all of the updates (re-decorating) 
I've been doing in the main kitchen.

For now, here's a peek at my new look.






(How did this cutie get here?)
 My baby girl young-in.she's 15 now. all of  my kids have grown up on ladders.

White Wednesday @ Faded  Charm 
Vintage Inspiration Friday @ Common Ground
Farmhouse Friday @ Laurie Anna's Vintage Home
Home Sweet Home @ The Charm of Home
PRIMP Your Stuff @ (PRIMP)



34 comments:

Blessed Serendipity said...

Lovely! I can't wait to see some more. How wonderful for you to have a brand new kitchen to cook in. Glad you kept some of your rosey china.

xo,
Danielle

THE FARMHOUSE PORCH said...

I have two little girls, one 7 and one 3. My 3 yr old looks just like the one in the bottom picture. Almost made me teary eyed reading your "oh, how I miss those days" comment. I don't want my babies to grow up!

♥Linsey

p.s the house looks AWESOME too!♥

EllenaElizabeth said...

Lovely, thanks for sharing.

Cheryl ~ ZanyMayd said...

I certainly have enjoyed seeing your Beautiful kitchen in all it's before & after glory.... isn't it amazing how quickly our little ones grow up~ In the blink of an eye!
Cheryl

LifeLessOrdinary said...

I love your kitchen pictures...just beautiful. Thanks for sharing the green paint formula. I love that color. It looks so good with the white cabinets.

Kathy said...

I am loving these posts. I love the old house, the new house, all of it!!! Its transformed into Amazing!

Shabby chic Sandy said...

Is that like lace glued in the glass doors of the cabinet? It is so beautiful--please share what you did:) Your kitchen is so lovely!

It's me said...

it is all so so so beautiful done !!...seize the day darling....love ...xxx..

from me to thee......... said...

oh, how I love these pictures, because it has your family in them, when they were young....what memories, so cute! You have come a long way. I love the old dishes, especially the ones that are crazed, brown and chipped.....I love distressed things.....whatever your style is now and in the future, I know it will be beautiful!!!!!!!

trash talk said...

Rene,
I've seen and read a lot of redo's, but this is probably the most charming one I've ever read/seen. Your kitchen is gorgeous, but your family is precious!
Growing up on ladders indeed. Perched up there, your girls had ring side seats to watch their mom and dad work as a team, setting goals and accomplishing them. What a marvelous example to help three young girls climb the ladder of success later in life. Kudos to y'all!
XO
Debbie
P.S. I've heard tell of having a monkey on one's back...but never a pretty little girl! LOL He must have the patience of a saint.

Lisa~A Cottage To Me said...

Very nice photos! That one with your daughter hanging off her daddy is precious!

PCovi said...

Well what fine do-it-yourselfers you are! That was a gorgeous kitchen!
Those sweet babies...ohhh mee...why do they have to grow up???

The Decorating Diaries said...

I'm starting to work on my kitchen and I can't wait to see more of yours. Beautiful ideas.

Janet

Unknown said...

I love that all your kids have a healthy knowledge of ladders...an important tool!

Love the kitchen, you really all put your hearts and souls in it!

Yayi said...

¡Todo maravilloso!
Saludos.

Anne said...

Love your photos.And I can see that new color.I am lovin it.I am going to be re-painting my WHOLE house soon.I must be nuts.Because when I say me I mean ME.Sweet photos of your girls.Honestly why does the time go by so fast.My daughter is 12 and I still don't know where the time went.

Unknown said...

I love the vintage feel that your house has, I also love to read you blog here in England.

Ele at abitofpinkheaven said...

love, and REALLY love the dresser you put in the pantry.

Pamela Gordon said...

I love it! Oh my, those pretty dishes in the white display cabinet! Our kitchen was brown stained plywood cabinets and it's now coconut white Shaker style with glass doors and crown moulding. Very similar to yours but much smaller. CAn't wait to see what else you've done! Pamela

NanaDiana said...

Rene- What a wonderful, wonderful transformation. I would feel so comfortable visiting you and sitting with a cuppa coffee and chatting! I love all you did here and I know how much hard work you put into it. The cabinets are lovely..nice job of matching them up.

Love the older pictures of your kiddos. How sweet are they? xo Diana

Victorian1885 said...

What a beautiful Kitchen! I am looking forward to more updates.. Take care!

On Crooked Creek said...

Miss Gracie,
Your "small" children are so adorable! Love that lost photo of the little one on the ladder! Your kitchen is beautiful...I miss my"farmhouse" kitchen...but so very glad to be near our son! Roses are the flower of love. My very favorite of all flowers...although I do LOVE Sunflowers, too! I'll be back to see more of your reveal, for the "sneak peek" is so intriquing!
Fondly,
Pat

sweetpea said...

your kitchen is so beautiful, i can't imagine it getting any better. yes i did leave my chalkboard wall! thanks for your comment.

hugs,

shelley

Ivy and Elephants said...

Let me be the first to say, even your old style is still gorgeous! LOL
I love what you are doing in the kitchen and those teaser shots have me on pins and needles to see the rest. You were a feature last week at WIW, and we'd love to have you back and link up again.
Best to you!
Hugs,
Patti

The French Bear said...

I love all your photos, a glimpse into your life under construction.......love the ladder and the fact that all your children have grown up with it!!!! Love the rose dishes, oh my....it must be so exciting to see it all come together!!! I'll be back to see more, I just love your taste and style and your great stories!!!!
Hugs,
Margaret B
xx

Curtains in My Tree said...

cute ladder baby

I love your kitchen and glad you left that old built in cabinet in

FredaB said...

What a wonderful job you and your hubby do together. I certainly could never envisage what you have now from what it started with. It sure takes a wonderful eye to be able to start with that and end up with what you now have.

Hats off to both of you.

Hugs

FredaB

Teresa@magazineyourhome said...

I posted but it didn't show so here goes again :) I love the kitchen, it's just so gorgeous and unique! One question, on the paint color, what brand of paint is that formula for? Love it and want to get the same for my bathroom.

foreverdecorating said...

I adore your kitchen and this post has so many memories. I loved the picture most of the hubby with the child hanging off his bent over body. Too sweet!

❁Velma ~Down Our Country Road❁ said...

Your kitchen is beautiful. Some of the features are alot like mine :)
The little area across from the fridge is so, so charming!
I love the trim work you put in the window opening above the stove. I'm wanting to do that in the doorway from the main hall to my family room.
The pics of your kids 'working' with daddy are precious. Yes, where does the time go?

Ireland said...

Love the images, removing the walls will really open the space and let the light shine through. Looks amazing

Cindy said...

Miss Gracie,
Your house is gorgeous and your kitchen is so big and welcoming. I love the island and the colors that you have used.
I haven't been over here to see your home for some time, I'm so glad you found my blog and commented. It gave me a chance to see yours.
Have a wonderful weekend.
Hugs, cindy

Sandi said...

Loved this post and all the photos of memories in the making!
Blessings~

NanaDiana said...

wow- It is so beautiful! You can tell it is a labor of love. Are the glass cabinet doors etched or am I seeing a design that is inside the cabinet? I thought I had posted here before but it's not showing up...grrrr.. I love everything you have done! xo Diana