Monday, November 14, 2011

the details...part 3

Are you ready for the details?


 I'll list our  top 10 tools,
ending with my favorites.


We pretty much started 
with a blank slate
furniture and all.


10.paint

white. pure. white.
not the soft, creamy off-white that I normally use

It didn't cover worth a darn, 
but it's bright and happy


for a punch of color:




pink, blue, happy green, and a touch of orange

9. bedding

one of the new purchases for the room
(you would have thought I would have a vintage bedspread in the stash but I don't)
vintage style chenille bedspread: shopko
sheets: shopko
pillow:target

8. wardrobe/furniture


 wardrobe: from Abigail's nursery
bed: she choose this one from my bed stash...
dresser : yard sale 
end tables: yard sales


7. chandy

I had this in my loft storage stash 
I bought it last year (Home Depot) for a project.
Which one???  I can't  remember!


Perfect for this room.


6.  re-purposed hatbox
one of the easiest (and most fun) projects in the whole re-do



5.  accents/thrifted finds

 frames, fancy A, candelabra, suitcases, lamps
and
most of the accents, from the stash
they just got a new coat of paint



4. artwork

designed and printed by miss mrs g 
for Abigail's birthday present
some of her favorite lyrics from Lifehouse
frame from frame stash
I do have a lot of stashes, don't I?

3. curtains

I love these curtains and think they make the room!
They are youthful and helped give a reason for the bold colors.


found at Wal-Mart

yep, wal-mart


2. a is for abigail






and the significance of 5




the number she wears on her jersey


as did her older sister, brother, and sister-in-law

1. music sentiment


We splurged here and I am so glad we did.
It makes the room.
Our favorite touch 
and 
clearly yours, too!


confession:


When we started the room, Abigail found a black vinyl guitar at Joann's and wanted it for her wall.
Me: Yikes...that does not fit with what we have started.
Me: feeling  guilty...it's her room, you know.
Me:  while exercising (i do some of my best thinking while exercising)...
"I wonder what etsy has...in white?"


 Etsy is amazing!
We found quite a few options
this is the one she choose
found here:
music speaks



it is pretty, feminine, and musical
now, we're  both happy

We applied it to a painted piece of masonite
then  her daddy framed it




It's what sets the atmosphere 
and gives the room her heart

Now for the 
real-deal-decorating-reveal.

 This room was a challenge for me.
It was harder than I thought it would be.


1. the random, bright colors were tough
I like mono-chromatic, 
I thought I could go all-anthro
and youngish, 
and pull it together.


I threw out  most of these fabrics-they just weren't working.

2. pinterest was a huge help...see my board here

3. I found out, I really don't do collages well
this drove me crazy until I started over
and simplified


4.  I fussed waaaay too much with all of the details.
It took me 3 months to get it where I wanted.  
 The details mattered way more to me than to her.
The project  became a challenge to be conquered.

I am just glad to have a room finished!


26 comments:

Debra@CommonGround said...

It's adorable, so young and fresh! great job, all of you! xo

vintage girl at heart said...

Oh I LOVe every sweet little detail!! I know the journey was fun for you both too!!
Enjoy your new room Miss Abigail!
Blessings~

Rebecca said...

The details MAKE the room. Thanks for sharing what you learned/how you did it, etc.

(I have a granddaughter named Abigail. In a few years, she'll be wanting a room like this. I SHOULD keep the link for future reference!)

FlowerLady Lorraine said...

You did a wonderful job and what a labor of love for all of you. I love it.

FlowerLady

Kimberly at ArtJoyStuff said...

What a room!
Just beautiful.
enJOY a lovely day,
Kimberly

sherry said...

can you please just come to my house and have at it...?! golly you're talented, creative and amazing. gorgeous doesn't begin to describe this redo. :o)

deb mills said...

i think this room is fabulous. and i absolutely love the curtains. awesome job!

NanaDiana said...

It is wonderful! You did a great job and I really like the WHITE background. Everything else just pops because of it. I'll bet she is loving every bit of it! xo Diana

Fishtail Cottage said...

wow - i love all the details! this room is perfect! xoox

Diane said...

I know she'll enjoy her very special room forever and she'll treasure the thought that went into it. Diane

gilda said...

Complimenti...ottimo lavoro finito:-)
Gilda

Unknown said...

The room is adorable. I have an antique bed, dresser, vanity & side table that I found at a great deal for my daughter's room. We've been so busy that I haven't started on them yet and partly because I couldn't get a color in my head that I wanted to paint it. I LOVE the white. You did a fabulous job!

xoxo,
Clydia
Threemangoseeds.blogspot.com

podso said...

It's nice to see it all again and read the details. By the way, the "train case" up on top--my mother has a duplicate in her closet!

FredaB said...

What a beautiful room you did and the amazing thing is where you found things like the drapes at WalMart. Who would have thought.

The Music speaks really does set the whole room apart. Great choice.

I am sure she loves it.

Hugs

fredaB

Lynn said...

You are a mom, her mom, you wanted everything to be perfect for her and HER room. All that "fussing" was spelled L O V E.
Love your honestly describing your challenges in doing the room, love the end result. I am one of the ones who just loved the white music quote. Picture of her working with her dad, priceless too. Thank you for sharing. Blessings,
Lynn

debi said...

Thank you Rene for sharing the wonderful details of this amazing room! What a treat to see it again.

I NEVER would have guessed the chandy and bedspread were not vintage....especially coming from you. I have GOT to go to Shopko!

And I LOVE, LOVE the door knob! :)

The beautiful artwork by Mrs G is one of my favorites in this room. I sure wish she sold that print, I would buy it.

And the music sentiment is stunning! A perfect addition to this beautiful room.

Leah C said...

Lovin' all the details!! That is one fabulous room:)

Linda @ Itsy Bits And Pieces said...

This room is completely charming! I love that it was a family effort...beautiful!

❁Velma ~Down Our Country Road❁ said...

Don't you just love it when you can decorate a room for very little $$ ?? It pays to have a stash sometimes, doesn't it? Looks great!

June said...

Oh the room is so pretty Rene.So perfect for your darling girl! Wow, has she grown up since I saw her last!
hugs from here...

Ivy and Elephants said...

I can see how the room had to be a compromise of styles, but I think you pulled it off beautifully and made everyone happy. You really put your time and heart into it and I know she appreciates all your hard work. It's a gorgeous room with style and personality!
What a lucky girl!
Hugs,
Patti

Deborah said...

You've done an amazing job, a bit of paint and creativity can do a lot!! love your little special touches :)

Bee happy x
Have a delicious day!

CeCe said...

The room is just magnificent. Like you, these colors would not have been in my brain. Well, it looks like my brain could use some updating. The music piece and the large A framed are my favorites.

Sandi~A Cottage Muse said...

Love all the details!
I have some hatboxes in my studio that need a makeover...thanks for the idea!!

The Vintage Farmhouse said...

It's all too cute!

Grace said...

I LOVE IT! So adorable! :)